The Centre for Life Skills Education (CLSE) has been initiated as an offspring on the recommendations of World Health organization (WHO) which has identified 10 core skills as life skills. The Centre has also signed an MoU with Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development (RGNIYD) in May 2012, recognizing CLSE as the Nodal Centre for imparting Life Skills in Karnataka.
The center functions with the following specific objectives:
1. To provide training for all our under graduate and post graduate students of Kristu Jayanti College on Life Skill Education so that they are able to face the challenges and adapt to day to day demands of their everyday lives.
2. To offer the benefit of Life Skill Education to our neighborhood communities & institutes especially to government school children and youth so that their quality of life is enhanced and self-esteem improved.
3. To act as a nodal center in the State of Karnataka in implementing various central and state government policies and programs related to Life Skill Education.
4. To facilitate capacity building training on Life Skills and Training of Trainers (ToT) on Life Skills.
5. To carry out research & publications in the area of Life Skill Education and to identify the newer areas for application of Life Skills.
What are Life Skills?
Life Skills are the abilities for adaptive and positive behavior that enables individuals to deal effectively with the demands and challenges of everyday life across cultures (WHO, 1997).
The following are the 10 core life skills recommended by World Health Organization:
3. Decision Making
4. Problem Solving
5. Creative Thinking
6. Critical Thinking
8. Interpersonal Relationship
9. Coping With Emotions
10. Coping With Stress
Ever since its inception, the center has been actively conducting several trainings on Life Skills in the following areas:
* Life Skills Education for Teachers for Psycho-social understanding of Gen Y Learners.
* Life Skills for Students for Gender Sensitivity, Self-branding and Enhancing Employability Skills.
* Life Skills for Corporate Employees for Stress Management and Psycho-social Well-being.
* Capacity Building Workshop on Life Skills for Development Professionals.
* Life Skills for Health Care Professionals for sustaining effective Inter Personal Relationship.
* Short term courses on Life Skills on request.
For more information, please contact:
Dr. A. Jonas Richard
Centre for Life Skills Education (CLSE)
Kristu Jayanti College, Bangalore
Centre for Life Skills Education | Parenting Skills for the Teenagers
The Centre for Life Skills Education of Kristu Jayanti College conducted a session on Parenting the Teenagers for the parents of Class X students of St. Michaels’s School, Gedalahalli, Bangalore on 10th January 2020
The Session focused on basic Parenting Skills to deal with their teens. The session also highlighted the importance of positive discipline and the need for Connection before Correction. Around 70 parents participated. The session also suggested different parenting styles and tips to effectively parent their teens
Centre for Life Skills Education | Career Guidance & Academic Stress Management
The Centre for Life Skills Education of Kristu Jayanti College conducted a session on Career Guidance and Academic Stress Management for the Grade 10 students of St. Michaels’s School, Gedalahalli, Bangalore on 10th January 2020
The Session focused two important areas. One was to suggest strategies to identify one’s passion and choose their career and thereby choose the subjects in grade 11 as per their choice of their career. The second and the more important one was to recommend tips to manage their Board Examination Stress and follow few basic dos and don’ts in dealing with their academic stress. Around 55 students participated in this
Centre for Life Skills Education| Training on Life Skills and Personality Development
The Centre for Life Skills Education conducted a 3 day intensive Training on Life Skills and Personality Development for the Group of students and faculty members of Vivekanda College of Arts and Sciences, Erode from 9th to 11th December 2019. The training focused on 10 core life skills promoted by World Health Organization (WHO). The methodology used was Activity Based Learning (ABL). The center is actively involved in conducting regular trainings on Life Skills for Schools, Colleges, NGOs and Corporates