Infrastructure & Maintenance Policy
“The institution ensures adequate facilities for teaching-learning, augments and maintains infrastructural facilities according to the growing need of the students and endeavours to upgrade its technological support to create a positive academic atmosphere.”
The infrastructure policy encompasses the following:
- Strive for academic excellence by providing an ambience suitable for effective teaching learning process through well-equipped and spacious class rooms with ergonomic furniture and IT support
- Endeavor to substantiate classroom learning by setting up of fully automated library and information centre with learning resources, e-resources, databases, reading rooms, reprography and internet facilities
- Establishment of state of the art laboratories for Computer Science, Bio Sciences, Physical Sciences, Electronics, Psychology, Media, Language learning and Business Studies
- Cater to the health and welfare of faculty members, administrative and support staff through the establishment of staff rooms with IT support, office space and amenities
- Establishment of specialised centres for examination, valuation, research, placement, corporate relations, international relations, health, counselling and quality assurance
- Creation of facilities and support systems to enable a conducive learning environment for differently abled people.
- Creation and augmentation of auditoria, conference halls and facilities for academic, cultural and co-curricular gathering
- Enable holistic growth through the creation of infrastructural facilities for training in music, dance, theatre and fine arts
- Foster physical and emotional well-being through the provision of infrastructural facilities for sports, games, yoga, meditation, physical fitness and recreation.
- Utilisation of renewable energy resources by harnessing rainwater and solar energy and sewage water treatment
- Aim for zero percentage wastage through effective wet and dry waste management
- Create and maintain a green certified campus
- The infrastructural planning, building, purchase, IT maintenance and laboratory committees shall be responsible for ensuring optimal usage, upgrade and maintenance of equipment and facilities
There is an organisational system for monitoring and maintenance of the infrastructure and IT facilities of the institution. A full time director in-charge of infrastructure planning and development, Financial Administrator and administrative office are the responsibility centres for infrastructure augmentation and maintenance. The infrastructure planning committee, purchase committee, building maintenance committee and IT maintenance committee are the executive wings of the central committee. Infrastructure planning committee augments various academic, sports and cultural facilities to suit the needs of students seeking admission to the college in line with the perspective plan.
- Purchase committee is responsible for budgeting, acquiring and inventory of necessary furniture, equipment, electrical and electronic gadgets and other infrastructural requirements.
- Building maintenance committee inspects, updates, maintains and repairs various facilities in the campus.
- The IT maintenance committee oversee the installation, software upgrades, repair and maintenance of ICT facilities. Supervisors, technicians and support staff undertake the role of monitoring utilisation and maintenance.
- Carpentry workshop situated inside campus designs, produces and maintain quality furniture. Full time maintenance personnel are available to provide services such as electrical work, plumbing, furniture upkeep, building maintenance, gardening, maintenance of sports facilities and house-keeping.
- Technical support and maintenance are provided by lab assistants in the Bioscience, Electronics, Psychology and Computer Science laboratories. Need based contracts are signed for equipment maintenance and college engineering works such as elevators, air conditioners, UPS and generators.
These committees adhere to the standard operating procedures and plan the schedule of maintenance of physical infrastructure and campus facilities. They have a daily schedule of monitoring the maintenance and upkeep of facilities. The members of the institution can submit their requests and complaints regarding maintenance through online and offline channels. All types of maintenance work are taken care by in-house staff. The supervisors provide periodical record of maintenance to the financial administrator and the compliance is ensured.
Utilisation of infrastructural facilities
- The classrooms are allocated based on a need assessment and is mapped in the ERP.
- The auditoria and conference halls are utilised for organising cultural events, conferences, seminars, workshops and exhibitions. The facilities were used for conducting Bengaluru North University inter-collegiate cultural competitions in 2019. The booking register kept at the office enables staff and students to utilize the auditoria, conference halls and panel rooms
- The institution has two libraries for the benefit of UG and PG students. Library Advisory Committee guided by a full time Director, plays an active role in strengthening library resources and its services. The library operations are planned, executed and well maintained. The availability of group discussion rooms, reading rooms and cubicles for group work and personal study enables in the efficient utilisation books and on-line resources of the library. Orientation lectures for first year students, orientation on usage of e-resources are given to students and faculty members. Innovative practises of the library includes organising annual book exhibition, maintaining a library corner commemorating national events and personalities increases the numbers of users of the library.
- Lab manual provides clear procedural details and expected code of conduct inside the lab. The heads of the department prepare a schedule for the optimum utilisation of all lab hours and resources. Students can also avail the facilities after class hours and as per the availability.
- The college aspires to create a clean, green campus. Effective landscaping has embellished the natural beauty of the campus. The green parks are utilised for recreation, group study, meditation and relaxation.
- The STP established in the administrative block treats all the used water of the institution and had led to zero percentage wastage of water resources.
- The solar panels installed in the terrace of the main block utilises solar energy and generates 36.7Mwh of electricity.
- The quadrangles provided with public address system are used for common gatherings, celebration of national festivals and event promotion.
- A fully functional music room with musical instruments is used for training in vocals, choir and musical instruments. The institution provides music training to the students. There is a full time music director to plan all the training sessions and certificate courses for the academic year.
- Sports facilities are utilised for training and conduct of sports and games events according to the schedule prepared by the department of physical education. The facilities are utilised for training and conduct of sports events of Bengaluru North University.
- The supervisors survey the classroom to assess the furniture, ICT needs and suggest improvements if needed. At the beginning of the academic year the departments submit the infrastructural requirement for students with special need. The class animators effectively monitor the cleanliness and operation of the facilities in the classroom. Maintenance requirements are made known through offline and online channels and immediately met.
- Verification of the auditoria and conference hall furniture, functionality of audio visual, ICT and other facilities are done periodically by the technical staff. Any immediate requirements of maintenance are met prior to any common programme.
- The Library Advisory Committee takes care of purchase of new books, editions, journals as per the requirement of students and staff and update library services to incorporate latest technologies. The Committee is responsible for the effective functioning of the library. It does periodical review of the needs and forwards suggestions to the management The librarian is in-charge of care and handling of library activities and maintenance. The automation of library processes enables in the smooth conduct of day to day transactions.
- Maintenance of laboratories, equipment’s and other facilities of lab are taken care by the respective department members, lab technicians and support staff. Procurement details are provided by the respective departments and the needs are met on time. Periodic stock verification is carried out. Minor repair and maintenance work carried out are recorded in a register.
- A team of gardeners tend to the green parks of the college under an estate supervisor. The department of life sciences has augmented the floral strength of the campus through the species mapping of the plants.
- A campus supervisor and technician inspects the plant every day to verify if the STP is functioning optimally. Any defect is rectified immediately by the service provider.
- A campus supervisor / technician inspects the solar panels every day to verify if the plant is functioning optimally.
- Technicians qualified in electrical /electronic engineering have been employed full time to install and maintain various electrical, electronic and Public address systems. Based on the requests made by departments and various centres, new systems are installed or existing ones are repaired to increase efficiency.
- A repair register kept in the office records maintenance requirements of various infrastructural facilities and equipments. All maintenance issues are addressed on the same day and unresolved issues are referred to the supervisor
- The music director assisted by a technician and student coordinators looks into the upkeep of musical instruments. Stock verification is done at the end of every academic year
- The college adheres to the statutory fire safety regulations. Fire safety drill and audit is carried out. Fire safety equipment are inspected and maintained by the AMC partners
- 12 elevators are maintained by AMC partners
- Two industrial RO units to meet the drinking water requirements of students and staff are installed and maintained by the maintenance contract. The drinking water dispensing units are maintained by support staff. The water potability is tested periodically by the students of department of Life Science.
- Generator, air conditioners, CCTV, UPS and other electronic devices are maintained through AMC partners.
- Media lab, studio equipments, camera, high value printers and sophisticated lab instruments are under annual maintenance contract
- ICT infrastructure is maintained by qualified and trained in-house system administrators with the support of AMC service partners.
- All types of waste are segregated and recycled according to the institutional policy