The Environment Club of Kristu Jayanti College aims to create awareness on various environmental issues that are rampant today. Unless environmental issues are solved or taken care of, the future generations may find earth not worth living. There is no denying the fact that environment has to be protected and conserved so as to make our future life possible. The Environment Club strives to make the students conscious of their responsibilities towards the environment and practice the principles of reduction, reuse and recycling of resources. The Environment Club instigates a sense of responsibility for the environment and a personal commitment to protect and preserve the environment among the youth.
MoU was signed with International Institute of Waste Management on 01/08/2019 , for consultancy on waste management, water management and green campus.
Environment Club in collaboration with Center for Social Activities of Kristu Jayanti College organized ‘Jalshakthi Abhiyaan’ (rainwater harvesting) on 12/09/2019. Prof. Vishwanath Srikantaiah, Adjunct Professor, Azim Premji University was the chief guest who enlightened the students about the excessive misuse of water resources especially ground water due to the excessive increase in surplus population, food grain production and electricity generation. Prof. Srikantaiah brought into focus the need to revive or rejuvenate wells, borewells to conserve water.
Environment Club and the Department of Life Sciences of Kristu Jayanti College is organizing the 7th National Green India Essay Competition, 2019 on the topic “Gen Y’s Solutions to Water Conservation”. This competition will provide an opportunity for the students to think originally from a non-conventional point of view and provide valid solutions in managing the water resources and its use. The participants will be instigated with a sense of commitment to protect and preserve water.
Kristu Jayanti College (Autonomous) has successfully been rated as a Green Campus and secured the ‘GOLD RATING’ as per the certification criteria on Oct 10, 2019
1. Green auditing, was conducted by the Environment Club in collaboration with Department of Life Sciences from July 18- September 1. It was aimed to improve the standard operating procedures and efficiency of instruments and equipments, to analyse whether we are performing in accordance with relevant rules and regulations and to determine a way in which we can lower the usage of energy, reducing the cost and thereby add to the revenue. The green audit also helped in assessing the total energy consumption thereby helping to take up measures to save energy.
2. 6th National Level ‘GREEN INDIA’ essay competition, was announced by Environment Club in collaboration with Department of Life Sciences on October 2018. The theme of the essay was “My solutions to Global Warming “.The aim of the competition was to sensitize the young minds on environmental issues and to come out with practical solutions to tackle the issue in their region.Good response was received from different states in India and abroad with innovative suggestions to reduce global warming.The results were announced on January 9, 2019.
3. Environmental awareness programme was held on Dec 20, 2018. The importance of saving our mother planet was shared to the students at quadrangle by thematic dance. Awareness was made to stop usage of plastic and Jayantians pledged to stop using plastics in all spheres of life.
4. Medicinal plant garden was maintained by the environment club. Volunteers identified botanical names, relabeled plants and trees in the campus and documented medicinal uses and botanical names of fauna and flora of college campus during July1-December 20, 2018.Volunteers of environment club on rotation basis maintain the medicinal garden throughout the year.
5. Continual monitoring of usage of electricity and water in college was done by environment club volunteers working in batches in different wings of college to ensure switching off of lights, fans and other electrical instruments, closing of taps in washrooms, repair of leaky taps and disposal of wastes in the specific waste bins on a regular basis from July 1, 2018-Dec 20, 2018.
"Clean and Green India" on September 14, 2017. The talk was held as one of the many activities under the 'Swacchata Pakhwada' programme
‘Self or sustainability’ was organized on September 21, 2017 .
Proper usage of water, electricity and waste disposal on a rotation basis in the college campus as a green initiative.
The 5th National green India Essay competition was organized in the month of October.The results were published on January 6th, 2018. 78 particiants from 14 different colleges participated and they were felicitated with cash prizes and certificates on January 22, 2018
Awareness programme through skits and dance and posters in the quadrangle
Poster competition for all the Under Graduate students on 23rd February 2017
Creatrix-Exhibition was organised in association with emphasis on waste management on 20/12/2016
E-waste management drive was organized in collaboration with Centre for Social Activities (CSA) during 3rd, 4th & 5th August 2015 to sensitize the student community on the awareness of E-waste disposal and recycling.
A MoU has been signed with ITC Ltd for recycling of paper waste in August 2015. The college was appreciated for contributing 1902 Kgs of Paper for recycling and saved 48 trees.
Creatrix-Exhibition on waste management
Awareness programme for all the Under Graduate students, as part of Environment education programme on 27th August 2014. Ms. Itika Singh, from Daily dump organization Bangalore, delivered lecture and hands-on-training on ecofriendly management of wastes generated at home, college and office.
4th National level Green India essay competition on the topic Green Governance on January 2015.
Environmental Science Club (ESC) organized various activities in spreading awareness in preserving environment.
Exhibition ‘SADUPAYOGAM’ on 21st March 2014, that revealed students’ creativity in converting ‘trash to art’