Research Centre in Biotechnology
The Department has been endowed the status of a Research Centre in Biotechnology of Bangalore University during January 2011. A state-of-the-art research complex is being developed in the college to facilitate research and to carry out major research projects. The facility will feature laboratories with facilities for full scale research in Plant Biotechnology Tissue Culture, Animal Cell Culture, Microbiology/ Microbial Technology and Biochemistry. A 'Central Instrumentation' facility will be a special feature of the Research complex.
Areas of Research
- A candidate who has obtained a Master's Degree from Bangalore University or any University/institution in the State or from any other University recognized as equivalent thereto securing not less than 55% marks in the aggregate at the Master's Degree Course as a whole shall be eligible to register for the Ph.D. Degree Programme. However, in the case of SC/ST and the Category-I candidates the minimum marks required shall be 50%.
- A candidate who is qualified as indicated above shall be eligible on the basis of an Entrance Test conducted by Bangalore University Ph. D Entrance Test (BUPHET), through centralized Examination and Evaluation system. However in the case of a candidate who has passed the NET/SLET/GATE/JRF/ M. Phil degree obtained through regular course work and not through distance education mode or belongs to FIP/QIP programme or any other tests/examinations conducted by national bodies, such candidates will not be required to appear for Entrance Test. Candidates selected to work under funded projects shall also fulfill the requirement of eligibility.
Ongoing Research Activities
- Plant Tissue culture and Biotechnology
- Environmental Biotechnology
- Microbial Technology
- Cytogenetics and Genotoxicity Studies
- In vitro regeneration and Agrobacterium tumefactions mediated transfer of a natural sweetener
- Standardization of tissue culture media for plants using natural substitutes
- Energy Enhancement of Coal through microbial technology (Collaborative project)
- Extraction and characterization of the fish liver oil